A pure white poem and empty shops
I asked a dog-walker for the short cut
to the local centre shop.
She told me 'Walk to the village green
then turn right. A skip and a hop.'
'Thank you' I said, unknowingly
that the village green WASN'T green..
Everything was blanketed in a coat of snow,
it was WHITE where the green had been!
I followed the tracks and got to the shop
where crowds were milling about lost.
The bread and eggs they were looking for
could not be bought at any cost.
The shelves were bare, reminded me
of reports I'd seen on the telly.
Thirds World countries, very little food,
youngsters with hunger-swollen bellies.
Ah well, it's pasta for me tonight
and tomorrow again, no doubt.
Those tomatoes in cans will be useful and, I expect,
the tin of beans will eke it out.
Francesca Johnson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A pure white poem and empty shops by Francesca Johnson )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- Steve Turner
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- I have got my body, gajanan mishra
- Many Types of Pain, Christina Seyoum
- Good things, hasmukh amathalal
- I failed to understand this world, gajanan mishra
- Now I am Mr. Delight, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- The 7 Signs of The Holy Night...(In Haik.., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- The Day After Chris+mas...(A 10 Word Acr.., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- So encouraging, hasmukh amathalal
- So Good, Michael P. McParland
- Snuggle, Michael P. McParland