A Shitty Valentines Day
Just shut up already about herbal remedies, I told her.
This was on Valentines Day, hours before Sally fed
my dog some herbal medication
and he brewed butt coffee
and lost it all over my house after she left.
When I came home greeted by brown valentines
on my shoes, rug, and - omigod - headphones,
I had to walk around outside to calm down
before I picked up the phone.
I expected her to claim it was good
for the dog to clean out his system.
But she surprised me, apologized and
came over, did a pretty good clean-up,
I did have to throw out the shoes
and there was no way I was going to
use those headphones again.
So she did okay.
I broke up with her anyway.
Find an herbal remedy for that, bitch!
No, I didn’t say that,
but we did break up the following year
on Valentines Day.
Michael Philips's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Shitty Valentines Day by Michael Philips )
- Devil's Darkness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Where is justice?, gajanan mishra
- Silent Voices - Heartbroken Sounds, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Stumble And Fall, Maurice Rowlands
- Love others, gajanan mishra
- Thoughts of Perfection, michael walkerjohn
- Coffee & cream, Mark Heathcote
- An African Woman Unfolds, michael walkerjohn
- The Daughter of the Earth - 43, gajanan mishra
- Prove your presence, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Go Back to May 1937, Sharon Olds
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(November 19, 1942)