A Simple Lesson
Many years ago I had a friend whose life came suddenly to an end.
What could have caused my friend to die before I chanced to say goodbye?
For a while I drifted aimlessly as I tried to understand this tragedy.
What could have caused his life to go? Why so sudden? Why didn’t I know?
It was a passing that was unforeseen, what, if anything, could it mean?
It showed me how we never know our time to come or our time to go.
I made a vow at his gravesite then, to never let that happen again.
To tell my family and all my friends before our lives come to an end
How lucky I am in their lives to be and how very much they all mean to me.
It’s funny how the simplest things that set our world aglow are oftentimes things we already know.
But sometimes it takes a tragedy to help us be the person we’d like to be.
I think of my friend often with a smile and a sigh and I’m sorry I never got to say goodbye.
Even today there is nothing I wouldn’t give to tell him how his death taught me to live.
I’d thank him for teaching me long ago to tell people how I feel before we go.
So I will never again have to wonder why...or have regrets when we say goodbye.
Thanks old friend for helping me keep that vow...Hmmm...I wonder if he hears me now?
Jim Yerman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Simple Lesson by Jim Yerman )
- Think Alike, Naveed Akram
- The Gods and Heaven.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- The Troubled Box, Naveed Akram
- Colored, Caylin stansberry
- Leave, gajanan mishra
- The beauty of a poet, gajanan mishra
- Two legs animal, gajanan mishra
- Clown Heads, Tony Adah
- In Love With Your Body, Luis Estable
- They Are Right, Luis Estable
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Trees, Joyce Kilmer
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)