A Sinner's Prayer
Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
Heaven help me, don't forget
The one who's falling into this.
This horrible darkness evelops me,
Consumes me, dear God, hear my plea -
Help me find myself tonight.
Let me live to see a new day's light.
I don't want to be known as the one
Who gave up life before it had begun.
I don't want to see any more pain;
I wish I'd never been forced to change.
I used to be so happy and free -
Dear God, what happened to the old me?
But this word is so dark, so cruel and cold,
I didn't even realize I was losing my soul.
So tonight let me start all over again.
Let a new part of my life begin.
If Satan decides he wants me now,
God help me please, let me keep this vow.
To never go back to the way I was,
To not be someone who never thinks, just does.
To conclude my prayer, God promise me this,
This one little thing I almost missed:
If I should die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Akara K.'s Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Sinner's Prayer by Akara K. )
- Midnight Blue, Heather Burns
- Rodeo Rogues, Saiom Shriver
- Seek And Ye Shall Find, Saiom Shriver
- Starlove, Saiom Shriver
- Sonnet No: 62 I WERE A CUCKOO, I'D SWE.., Dipankar Sadhukhan
- dreams and reality, Rahman Henry
- To Alex. Cunningham, Esq., Writer, Edinb.., Robert Burns
- So many faces, gajanan mishra
- On the Seas and far away, Robert Burns
- Steel Funeral, Dazairie Ronay
Poem of the Day
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
Udiah (witness to Yah)