A Tale From A Union Soldier
I was a Union soldier.
The battles were long, bloody and tiring.
I often had streaks of blood
All over my uniform.
At times I would feel down.
Really down and depressed,
Full of despair and gloom.
But one time, this family took me in
When I was wounded at Gettysburg.
They pretty much saved my life.
They saved me from dying on the road.
Their little boy would look in
On me with his big bright blue eyes.
He always shared his iced tea with me.
I would watch him rock back and forth
On his wooden horse,
Amazed at how the years had gone by
Since my own childhood.
I went back to visit the family
After the war.
I was saddened to find out
That the little boy had died.
Scarlet fever just up and got him.
A lump formed in my throat,
My heart felt like it had been crushed.
I just cried and cried.
I felt I could almost drown
In all those tears.
Every time I drink some cool iced tea
I remember that little boy.
Jeff Fleischer's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Tale From A Union Soldier by Jeff Fleischer )
- Gentle Laughter, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- PH: Nature: Canoeing the Mississippi #5, Brian Johnston
- Existence Of An Only Time, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Diwali..., DRASHI SHAH
- Season And Interest, George Egba
- Heart Turned To Stone, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Flying October, Vinaya Joseph
- অলস কবি, Yakub Ali
- Intimately Caressed, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- চান যা পাবেন তা!, Md. Ziaul Haque
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)