Leaning into afternoons I cast
my nets into your eyes, because I wish
the feelings that I hold for you to last
far longer than the flavor of a fish.
The signals that I send to you are crossed
so often when we make love in the night,
that almost every morning I feel lost
and try to put your demon fears to flight.
When looking in your eyes I see that you
believe I’m always asking you too soon
for love to be requited, and renew
my efforts with my nets each afternoon.
Don’t tell me that you think I’m building castles
in Spain, or in the air, or in my mind,
and wait again to see the night’s blue tassels;
now, in broad daylight let us be entwined.
Inspired by Leaning Into the Afternoons, by Pablo Neruda
Leaning into the afternoons I cast my sad nets
towards your oceanic eyes.
There in the highest blaze my solitude lengthens and flames,
its arms turning like a drowning man's.
I send out red signals across your absent eyes
that smell like the sea or the beach by a lighthouse.
You keep only darkness, my distant female,
from your regard sometimes the coast of dread emerges.
Leaning into the afternoons I fling my sad nets
to that sea that is thrashed by your oceanic eyes.
The birds of night peck at the first stars
that flash like my soul when I love you.
The night gallops on its shadowy mare
shedding blue tassels over the land.
gershon hepner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (afternoons by gershon hepner )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Self-Portrait At 28, David Berman
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- Inspiration, Henry David Thoreau
Poem of the Day
- Girls are not a burden.A sweet conversat.., Salim R Javed
- Night, Leong Ming Loong
- they captured this poem, and i went look.., Mandolyn ...
- The Tired Smile, Leong Ming Loong
- Blood and Gore, Leong Ming Loong
- Expressly For A Friend..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Welcome Love, Sari Mavi
- Wrongdoing, Leong Ming Loong
- Beyond Emerald City...(r), Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Many Buffalomen & The Bullock-cartmen To.., Bijay Kant Dubey