Alexander the Great
(When my son and I studied world history together, we enjoyed the legend of Alexander the Great. In that spirit, I composed this poem.)
There once was a Macedon lad
Whose mind was a trifling mad.
At twelve years of age,
He fancied it sage
To render Bucephalus glad.
The boy on his horse would aspire
To better his average sire.
King Philip was mild
Compared to his child,
Whose spirit consumed like a fire.
At twenty, the bellicose man
Embarked on a grandiose plan.
With dagger and shield
And soldiers to wield
His empire swelled quite a span.
In Egypt, where ships ever sail,
He carried the crook and the flail.
In Persia he led
As Darius fled
Like a dog with a quivering tail.
There never was fortress to stall
The lord with a lust for the brawl.
He seized with a slam
Of his battering ram
An island surrounded by wall.
But in India vigor was spent
And soldiers began to dissent.
They pleaded, "No more!
We're tired and sore."
The conqueror sulked in his tent.
Conceding at last to his fate,
He ordered his men to abate.
Along their way back
A germ would attack
And overtake Alex the Great.
© 2007 All rights reserved
Michelle Claus's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Alexander the Great by Michelle Claus )
- To Reward You, Edward Kofi Louis
- Pysch notes chapter 2, imani halley
- Wiles, Edward Kofi Louis
- FLIGHT OF ECSTASY, Donald R Charon
- dream and dreamer, binod bastola
- Sound And Silence, Edward Kofi Louis
- We are superior to all, Aftab Alam
- Love Deity, Aftab Alam
- Your Love Affairs With Nature, Edward Kofi Louis
- With love affairs, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- They Ask Me for Verses!, Jose Rizal
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(November 9 - 1937)