Patrick William Kavanagh
May angels watch you as you sleep,
The gentle beating of their wings caress your happy dreams.
May you grow up strong and proud and find the path that leads you to your deepest wish,
and may that wish be all that it can be, and all it ever seemed.
As you grow, may angels guard your every step,
Their joyous voices sing to keep your spirits high along the way.
May they sweep each pebble from your path,
And may their beauty shine for you, to light your way.
I wish for you a long and prosperous, peaceful life,
I wish for you a joyful journey from the cradle to the world beyond,
I wish for you a life that's filled with love and little strife,
I pray the gods will hold you, and your loving family, safely in their tender hands.
Patrick William Kavanagh's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Alfie by Patrick William Kavanagh )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Mark Strand
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Be Kind, Charles Bukowski
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Castles Made of Salt, Michael Mira
- Your Voice, Gina Borrebach
- For peace, gajanan mishra
- Lament Before The Eve, lingering stupor
- Sons of the nature, gajanan mishra
- The Death of Poetry, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Christmas Scene, Salim R Javed
- Girls are not a burden.A sweet conversat.., Salim R Javed
- Night, Leong Ming Loong
- The Tired Smile, Leong Ming Loong