Amman My Unrequited Love
Why Amman? ?
You compel me to have contradictory
Feelings for you why,
Why my Amman,
Why do I love you
And fear you
In the same time?
Why do I long to see
You and once I reach
Your semi green valleys and mountains,
I feel so confused? !
Why my dear city
You insist to kill my soul?
Is it because the memories
Of my happy and adventurous
Youth is buried in your soil,
Or because my last love
Has become part of your dust?
You were once our meeting point
But you refused to open your arms
For us and we were lost in the Wilderness.
Why Amman you look
Like a prison of walls
To me now?
While once you were my gate
To happiness and freedom,
Why materialistic ways of living
Is killing your people who once
Looked so intellectual and liberal
Why is it killing them
As jealousy killed my best friends
Who were living on your land
Who changed just like you
with the passage of time;
With the years
Of absence? !
Where are your green sceneries,
Where have they disappeared,
Why could the hand of time
Change you to a sterile land,
Why my first beloved city
After my homeland,
Why my wonderful home
You put an end
To all of my dreams and hopes
Of whatever is beautiful
Of whatever charmed
My heart and MIND? ? ? ? ! ! !
nadia abduljabbar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Amman My Unrequited Love by nadia abduljabbar )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Life Is Fine, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- Suicide's Note, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- The Trinmul Congress Party Will Definite.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Red Bulls, I Mean The Communists, Bijay Kant Dubey
- I Am Something, Human Ego, Bijay Kant Dubey
- A farmer in snow covered field., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- IN LIES! LIES THE WAY TO HELL, Michael P. Johnson
- La-di-da, Bill Galvin
- Labyrinth Of My Dream, Tony Adah
- Balance Your Soul, Lyn Paul
- A Happy and Sad Haiku, Merton Lee
- Plum blossoms, Wenjun Liu