An Orphan's Melancholy
One again.. the cold breeze robs him off his sleep..
And in the early hours of morning..
Amongst the sleepy lull of his room…
He walks on to the window of distant hope..
Silent and calm..he slips on his coat….
Orphange! ! the gloomy lights reflect on the engraved letters
He looks upto the sky as if questioning his existence…
Yes, both his and the one they call god,
Far away the shimmering lights of life…
Mock him at his destiny…
Destined to be deprived….
And in his cold heart, he inhales cold breath…
Freezing his hope, as the days pass by….
A tear slithers down his dew kissed cheeks…
His eyes…stuck as a stare of a corpse….
Sniffling quietly, he beholds his roaring anger inside…
Cut out by incised silence…a death of words…
which greeted him on his birth…
only to live with him forever….
And there he sits on the porch…
The wolves in his mind battle…
Hate and love..which one to feed..
Which one to grow…
But as the sun rises, his trembling body,
Wakes up to the fear of getting caught….
And like a forgotten memory…
He slips away into his room,
Robbed of dreams for a very long time…
His days weep……
While every night he silently dies…..
Shagun Khera's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Orphan's Melancholy by Shagun Khera )
- The Daughter of the Earth - 19, gajanan mishra
- सीने में आग भरो, Aftab Alam
- Annoyance Generator, Christopher Withers
- The Lass Of Alberry, Julian Mann
- The truant.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- All Is This World, Gbolagade Taiwo
- Feeling Alive, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Reactions To A Poem, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Examinations, abhi mangla
- 21 Years Gone By, Edward Kofi Louis
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Autumn Song, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)