cheryl davis miller
When I was a child in the hills of West Virginia,
Christmas was a special time of year.
Long lost loved ones gathered at Grandmas.
Those from far away and those near.
The tree was lop-sided cut from the woods.
Covered with popcorn and decked out gaily.
A big pink ornament took the center of the stage.
Grandma swept up the pine needles, daily.
But my favorite object lay beneath the tree.
Not the gifts but Grammy's old nativity.
I'd lay beneath the tree looking at the pieces
As Grandma told us all the story of Jesus.
She'd say, 'Christmas is a time of celebration.
Not of the gifts we can give to one another.
But of the Gift that was given to us long ago.
That made the Baby in that manger, our Brother.'
Yes Christmas is a time of celebration
of Family and the blessings we can give.
But don't forget the Reason for the Season.
Jesus came and gave his life, so we can live.
cheryl davis miller's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Appalachian Christmas by cheryl davis miller )
- At Least Live and Dream, Rohit Sapra
- Aladdin's Lamp, Aftab Alam
- philosophy, lee fones
- Old Clock, Paul Gerard Reed
- Cuckold's Plea, Donal Mahoney
- Thrilling night, Sneha Celine
- Love Is Not A Feeling, Margaret Alice Second
- a symphony, Cee Bea
- one shouldn't, Neelapu Suresh
- Spring Wood, Knutsford: my place of play, Mark Heathcote
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Leisure, William Henry Davies
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(9 February 1874 – 12 May 1925)