Carlos Drummond de Andrade
Apparition Of Love
Sweet ghost, why do you visit me
as in other times our bodies visited each other?
Your transparency dampens my skin
coming together in caresses that can never happen
no one ever received a kiss from a vanished face.
But you insist, sweetness. I hear your voice,
the same voice, the same tone,
the same light syllables
and the same deep breath of longing
with which you dissolved in pleasure.
And our final rest from love,
then I am convinced, that I hear your name,
the only part of you that hasn't dissolved
and that continues existing, pure sound.
I embrace what?
The mass of air you have turned into.
And I kiss, I kiss the nothingness intensely.
My beloved destroyed being, why do you return
and are you as real as you are illusory?
I no longer can tell if you are a shadow
or if you always were a shadow, and our story
is fiction in a painfully deciphered book.
Will I one day know your real body
as today I know how
to embrace the mist as one embraces
a platonic ideal in space?
Does desire endure for you who no longer are
dear absent one, to persecute me gently?
I never thought that the dead
would have the same passion as in past days
and that they could transmit it to us with kisses
of blazing fire and multi-colored ice.
Your burning visit consoles me
Your burning visit desolates me
Your visit, hardly a pittance of charity.
Carlos Drummond de Andrade's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Apparition Of Love by Carlos Drummond de Andrade )
- what swanky sap is this?, Mandolyn ...
- Natural, David Chap Bottoms
- I end poem, hasmukh amathalal
- here's my armadillo, now get me a pillow.., Mandolyn ...
- A, Vera Sidhwa
- With her ability, hasmukh amathalal
- Inhuman way, hasmukh amathalal
- THERE IS…, michael walkerjohn
- My words, hasmukh amathalal
- Nice ending, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Farewell Love and All Thy Laws Forever, Sir Thomas Wyatt
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)