Carlos Drummond de Andrade
Don't Kill Yourself
Carlos, keep calm, love
is what you're seeing now;
today a kiss, tomorrow no kiss,
day after day tomorrow's Sunday
and nobody knows what will happen
It's useless to resist
or to commit suicide.
Don't kill yourself. Don't kill yourself!
Keep all of yourself for the nuptials
coming nobody knows when,
that is, if they ever come.
Love, Carlos, tellurian,
spent the night with you,
and now your insides are raising
an ineffable racket,
saints crossing themselves,
ads for better soap,
a racket of which nobody
knows the why or wherefor.
In the meantime, you go on your way
You're the palm tree, you're the cry
nobody heard in the theatre
and all the lights went out.
Love in the dark, no, love
in the daylight, is always sad,
sad, Carlos, my boy,
but tell it to nobody,
nobody knows nor shall know.
Carlos Drummond de Andrade's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Don't Kill Yourself by Carlos Drummond de Andrade )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Please Remember, abigail sikwenda
- So near, yet so far..., Musical Ravi
- Shackled by Love, Maheshwer Peri
- Lackadaisical, Diane Hine
- Ghost City, Cyndi K. Encinares Gacosta
- The fine things in life, Cyndi K. Encinares Gacosta
- Dead concern, hasmukh amathalal
- Your phallus is, Cyndi K. Encinares Gacosta
- rejection, Cyndi K. Encinares Gacosta
- All You Do Is Take, Lawrence S. Pertillar