'Arcturus' is his other name
'Arcturus' is his other name—
I'd rather call him 'Star.'
It's very mean of Science
To go and interfere!
I slew a worm the other day—
A 'Savant' passing by
'Oh Lord—how frail are we'!
I pull a flower from the woods—
A monster with a glass
Computes the stamens in a breath—
And has her in a 'class'!
Whereas I took the Butterfly
Aforetime in my hat—
He sits erect in 'Cabinets'—
The Clover bells forgot.
What once was 'Heaven'
Is 'Zenith' now—
Where I proposed to go
When Time's brief masquerade was done
Is mapped and charted too.
What if the poles should frisk about
And stand upon their heads!
I hope I'm ready for 'the worst'—
Whatever prank betides!
Perhaps the 'Kingdom of Heaven's' changed—
I hope the 'Children' there Won't be 'new fashioned' when I come—
And laugh at me—and stare—
I hope the Father in the skies
Will lift his little girl—
Over the stile of 'Pearl.'
Emily Dickinson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem ('Arcturus' is his other name by Emily Dickinson )
Did you read them?
- Alesha the Cat, Steve Kittell
- Heart Broke, Vijaya mam
- Perhaps I'll See You, Abu Tammam
- A Back Seat, Elia Michael
- Love shall stand, hasmukh amathalal
- Female Author, Sylvia Plath
- Dirge For A Joker, Sylvia Plath
- The Babysitters, Sylvia Plath
- The Beekeeper's Daughter, Sylvia Plath
- Bluebeard, Sylvia Plath
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- At Last She Comes, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)