At The Bomb Testing Site
At noon in the desert a panting lizard
waited for history, its elbows tense,
watching the curve of a particular road
as if something might happen.
It was looking at something farther off
than people could see, an important scene
acted in stone for little selves
at the flute end of consequences.
There was just a continent without much on it
under a sky that never cared less.
Ready for a change, the elbows waited.
The hands gripped hard on the desert.
William Stafford's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (At The Bomb Testing Site by William Stafford )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(27 December 1797 – 15 February 1869)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Night Thought, William Wordsworth
- Inspiration, Henry David Thoreau
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Thing of Beauty (Endymion), John Keats
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Poem N10, Kristian Djordjanov
- Poem N9, Kristian Djordjanov
- Misunderstood, LLDr. Gyd
- Poem N8, Kristian Djordjanov
- Poem N7, Kristian Djordjanov
- Twilight of Love, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Poem N6, Kristian Djordjanov
- Blesses Be, Clara Keiper
- Poem N5, Kristian Djordjanov
- Glowing Face, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan