Behind The Bars
Behind the bars I confine
Because I made a flagitious crime
Uncomfortable, dreary room
Echoing guiltiness and gloom.
Why I am here?
Time to time, I murmured
Day and night no one cares, no one near
Mischievous words I always uttered.
Days, months and years passed by
But still wandering at the edge of why
Until one time, I woke up amidst the night
I saw a glimmer of astonishing light.
' Wake up child, ' a voice whispered
' Who are you, ' my scared reaction
He replied, ' don't be afraid, I'm your Father,
Accept me then you will see the right direction.'
So, I kneeled and said ' My God, my God forgive me
For I am a scoundrel, wretched and greedy
I live my life in my own way
But now I'm tired, please hear my plea.'
Then, a vigorous light dazzled my sight
And my whole being covered with bright
' I love you child, ' again I heard
Suddenly, my room turn back to blurred.
That encounter with God made me better than ever
Oh how glad to have a Heavenly Father
Behind the bars, He poured his grace
He restored my faith, I am amaze
Though behind the bars, I still reside
My hope to be free I can not hide
Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
Behind the bars, my Saviour I found.
Catherine Agunat's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Behind The Bars by Catherine Agunat )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- December Walk, Julyn Pride
- Conundrums Consequence..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Whats and Whats, Ibrahim Lawal Soro
- No Answers To Love, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Angelwalk 2, Mr. Spock
- The Bridge of New York's Beauty..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Hiking Limerick, Mr. Spock
- Christmas Tree, Mr. Spock
- The Star, The Wish, The Coming..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Christmas Star, Mr. Spock