Was it another universe?
So many years ago.
My life with you was interspersed,
By affairs you did not know.
I kept my guilty secrets,
Pressed to a heaving chest;
But now that I have been found out,
The truth must be confessed!
Was it another lifetime;
On a set built yesterday?
You wrote it out in pantomime,
A role I could not play.
Was it the season of bad dreams,
Acted out in floods of rage?
When treason was a national theme,
And blood would stain the page.
Was it a nerveless universe,
Uncurved by mystery?
When rational thought was not perverse,
But served as history.
Was it some other century?
For it seems another age,
Where reason was a cultural meme,
And rhyme, the higher stage.
Was it another universe,
On a different plane?
Where all exists in reverse,
From death to born again.
Was it that special universe,
Dim lit by avid brain?
Where even light cannot traverse,
And night and darkness reign.
Was it another epoch?
Was it another time?
My love for you was built on rock,
And not on silt and slime!
Was it some other era;
In another place?
Were we those star-crossed lovers,
Somehow lost in outer space?
Was it another universe?
Down the blackest of black holes.
Does my remorse exert a force,
Inverse to troubled souls?
Should I spurn the fleeting moment,
For a lifetime of control;
Or burn in fiery torment,
As your anger takes it's toll?
Dave SmithWhite's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Black Holes by Dave SmithWhite )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
William Cullen Bryant
(November 3, 1794 – June 12, 1878)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Your Laughter, Pablo Neruda
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- i heard it said today 'angels let me in .., Mandolyn ...
- THE LAW, glen pugh
- A Butterfly Now, Kyle Schlicher
- To My Friend, A Sonnet, Luis Estable
- My Assignment.(limerick), BADMUS JUBRIL
- I Wait For You, Kyle Schlicher
- Busy man, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Where Love Falls, Kyle Schlicher
- You Are Like The Moon, Kyle Schlicher
- Saranè, Gianfranco Aurilio