Lenin Meitei Thingujam
You rein in my wings,
And try to tame me.
“But what about my fiery breath? ” I ask you.
You smile and tell me you are a phoenix.
I look back and see smoke rising.
I see the bridges I burnt down.
I want to fly back and reach out,
But my wings have been clipped.
I am a dragon.
And your eyes mirror our differences,
But you ask, “If a lock is the same as the key
How is it ever going to be opened? ”
The love in your eyes is on a high tide,
But I don`t know how to swim.
You tell me to take the plunge,
As I take your hand and stand on the edge.
I am scared, so scared.
I was the one who made you smile,
The one who made you rise.
What if I burn you down and fly away?
Your eyes hold me as I pull you near,
And our heartbeats race each other.
You whisper a song of notes divine,
As yesterday and tomorrow get blinkered out
Will God toss his coin and decide for us?
Or will we rewrite the lines on our palms?
Because you are a phoenix and I am a dragon.
Because I am a dragon and you are a phoenix.
Lenin Meitei Thingujam's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Burning Bridges by Lenin Meitei Thingujam )
- I Fly, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Fissures Of Imagination, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Girl-child., Bieze Josephat
- Main Street U.S.A., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Cabin in the woods., Harold R Hunt Sr
- The Swing, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The old water tower., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Comforted, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Taken you back in time., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Joe, Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)