Catch 22 if you can
Word stretched her wings and,
When the Comma allowed,
Brazen as a Painted Lady
With her Ringlets of gold,
High as Swallowtails.
The Gatekeeper let her past,
Accepting a Small Copper
For his trouble, an Orange Tip.
Fast as a Hairstreak she winged her way
To the Monarch
Who was fishing for Grayling
Near the town of Camberwell
'Beauty! ' he cried, 'what brings you here? '
Strutting like a Peacock
She asked for a Fritillary of ships
Each with a Large Skipper
And a Red Admiral in overall command
To wage war on the purple Emperor's land,
To unleash Brimstone upon his domain
And reduce it to a
Small Heath, around it a broken Wall,
Brown Tortoiseshell patchwork
Of desolate wasteland.
'No! ' said the Monarch
'Aggression is for the Common.
Blue skies and happiness
Are my edict. Begone! '
The Word looked at her Map
And decided to try the
Queen of Spain far away.
She was never seen again
And the butterflies were happy.
(22 to be found - catch them if you can)
Martin O'Neill's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Catch 22 if you can by Martin O'Neill )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
Emmanuel George Cefai
(12th March 1955)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Russell Edson
(22 March 1941 -)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Taking Off Emily Dickinson's Clothes, Billy Collins
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- how ridiculous is this..., Mandolyn ...
- Be careful child before you fall, Mark Heathcote
- have it your way homeboy, Mandolyn ...
- Advance New Year 2015 Wishes (in a pessi.., Dr John Celes
- B. Day, Nassy Fesharaki
- shape shift this, my fearless phantom, Mandolyn ...
- Dear Dad ..... [a PARODY; HUMOR; SHORT; .., Bri Edwards
- Just Sex..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- It's Not About Science, Just Satellites..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Woman And Time..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR