The gravel goads me as I walk…
Do you not hear me, do you not see me
Do you not feel me under foot?
Do you not, talk …Speak! Why sir you are ruder
Than the sky, ruder than the stars and moon
On high, how dare you scuffle on bye?
Kicking; me over at random as I keep.
Your offensive size nines dry. Sir—sir
Sir— even a dandelion has the curtsey,
To bow its head before it drifts on’
The wind: surely you sir could at least sing!
Do you not hear these yew trees or the grass?
Do you not hear the bird’s song in the holy?
Does that robin there not make you gasp!
Do you not hear my unchartered music? Sir—sir
Sir— I’m the journey and you are just the path,
That leads to the end of the road:
“The swirling cherry blossom or so I‘m told”
When; the wind sweeps through your left
Eye socket and tolls, know that death, is
Looking though the right still in abject absents.
Mark Heathcote's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Cemetery walks… by Mark Heathcote )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(9 November 1928 – 4 October 1974)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Baby's World, Rabindranath Tagore
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- X MAS, Tiku akp
- Interlude Of Justice, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Timeless Eternity, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I'm Still The Same, Gillu Rahul
- They are all equal, gajanan mishra
- On the Day of an Election, Ponniah Ganeshan
- Smiles All The Way (Repeat), DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- I Wander Lost, Shalom Freedman
- उसका ही अपमान करते हो uska hi apmaan, hasmukh amathalal
- In restless sea, gajanan mishra