John F. McCullagh
in the High School cafeteria
there was horror on the menu;
A loner with a pistol
seeking victims and a venue.
Three times the pistol fired
and kids began to fall.
It might have been a massacre
if not for old Frank Hall.
Frank Hall was the football coach
with a short and stubby frame.
While others fled, he charged towards
this criminal insane.
Frank Hall didn't stop to think
he didn't have the time.
As he charged towards the gunman
His life was on the line.
The gunman fired once at Frank,
the shot rang high and wide
It caught a fleeing coed,
put a flesh wound in her side.
The gunman turned in panic
as the first responders came
He fled into the nearby woods,
just some kid named T.J. Lane.
Three teenagers lay dying,
one more would never stand.
Many more lives had been spared
by the courage of one man.
He comforted the dying
as the ambulance came late.
The moment found the man-
was it providence or fate?
John F. McCullagh's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Charnel High by John F. McCullagh )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Speak up Luciana Berger MP, Barney Rooney
- Is this why Kurdistan?, Nassy Fesharaki
- A Filthy Creature, Shemsi Elsani
- Hear The Rain Typing, Kyle Schlicher
- 12 Hour Ceasefire, Not Here
- An english Or American Beauty Want I For.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Cancer, Nassy Fesharaki
- Choosing The China Pattern For The Weddi.., mary douglas
- Bending lies into your truth, Leylek D. Sovura
- Chaos on 11-12-2007, Kyle Schlicher