Lawrence S. Pertillar
Children Are A Blessing
You have no idea just how blessed you are.
I am aware of it.
I express my gratefulness 'everyday'.
Why would you say that? '
You don't have children Or grandchildren.
'That's an awful thing to say.
Children are a blessing.
Sometimes I wish I had my own.'
And those 'other' times?
I do admit,
I can't be around them all the time.
I have come to enjoy my peace of mind.'
I can't find peace of mind.
My 'kids' and THEIR kids...
Are around me ALL the time.
I can not go 'anywhere',
To not hear them without having a few minutes...
To forget they are my blessings.
Everyday I threaten to abandon them.
I could never think of that.'
That's why you are blessed,
Not to ever have those thoughts.
I can not plan an escape.
Guilt takes over.
And before I know it...
That vacation my spouse and I,
Promise each other to take alone...
With a finding ourselves far away from home.
Guess where our children are?
'Calling to say how much they miss you? '
However they do it they find were we are.
To then end up arguing amongst themselves,
Which one of them gets more attention.
And which one we love the best.
You can't even imagine listening to that,
While pretending to use the bathroom...
While I'm using that time for myself...
I'm wishing I had children.'
That's a blessing I can't remember having in YEARS!
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Children Are A Blessing by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Moonlit Night, Tu Fu
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- There Is A Time When One Forces Oneself .., Shalom Freedman
- Lament to the Full Moon, Geoffrey Fafard
- Roach Talk, Ima Ryma
- Haiku A Butterfly By Sophy Chen, Sophy Chen
- MERCY OUR COVALENCY REMAINS WITH BUOYANCY, ANTHONY KIRUI
- Haiku A Wizened Rose By Sophy Chen, Sophy Chen
- A Cleaner World, Luis Estable
- A Coronary Relapse, white dove
- When I Die, Luis Estable
- As if I'd Fallen in Its Waves by Sophy.., Sophy Chen