Lawrence S. Pertillar
Children Are A Blessing
You have no idea just how blessed you are.
I am aware of it.
I express my gratefulness 'everyday'.
Why would you say that? '
You don't have children Or grandchildren.
'That's an awful thing to say.
Children are a blessing.
Sometimes I wish I had my own.'
And those 'other' times?
I do admit,
I can't be around them all the time.
I have come to enjoy my peace of mind.'
I can't find peace of mind.
My 'kids' and THEIR kids...
Are around me ALL the time.
I can not go 'anywhere',
To not hear them without having a few minutes...
To forget they are my blessings.
Everyday I threaten to abandon them.
I could never think of that.'
That's why you are blessed,
Not to ever have those thoughts.
I can not plan an escape.
Guilt takes over.
And before I know it...
That vacation my spouse and I,
Promise each other to take alone...
With a finding ourselves far away from home.
Guess where our children are?
'Calling to say how much they miss you? '
However they do it they find were we are.
To then end up arguing amongst themselves,
Which one of them gets more attention.
And which one we love the best.
You can't even imagine listening to that,
While pretending to use the bathroom...
While I'm using that time for myself...
I'm wishing I had children.'
That's a blessing I can't remember having in YEARS!
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Children Are A Blessing by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
- Like A Gentle Rain, Spiritwind Wood
- The paradox of becoming a Man, Nancy Handabile
- Quran, The Ways of Ascent, Mohja Kahf
- 'My Persuasion' Over 'Her Coyness'., Prabhat Priyadarshi
- rain, Erin Daly
- I Hope, Michael McParland
- Holding Fatima in the Light, Mohja Kahf
- Manifesto for the Chaste Wanton, Mohja Kahf
- Doves, Mohja Kahf
- Return of the Friend, Mohja Kahf
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(17 July 1674 – 25 November 1748)
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
John Greenleaf Whittier
(17 December 1807 – 7 September 1892)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
James Whitcomb Riley
(7 October 1849 - 22 July 1916)
Edgar Lee Masters
(23 August 1868 – 5 March 1950)
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Victor Marie Hugo
(26 February 1802 – 22 May 1885)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)