R. K. Hart
City Of Refuge
There stand six cities within the land,
There they stand for the fleeing man.
The man rejoices upon the city of such,
Much relieved to have its walls in touch.
His crime is one accidental and unavoidable,
Avenging kinsmen to publish rendered unable.
To the cities wall built upon a mount,
Fleeing man once within the gates gives account.
The cities gates were never ever closed,
No time or day, so the fleeing maybe enclosed.
Their words are heard by the wise within,
Protection given to the innocent from angry kin.]
Should he be a murderer of the innocent with intent,
To the avenging kinsmen he was sent.
But accidental manslayer protection of city walls,
Far from the avengers blade or murderous brawls.
Great sin upon my back to my refuge I plead,
Upon my knees forgiveness, I asked of my deed.
Christ my Savoir is my refuge city,
By His blood upon me He casts His pity.
R. K. Hart's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (City Of Refuge by R. K. Hart )
- Clean and cleanliness, gajanan mishra
- Holding You Tight, Michael McParland
- I'm bored with it all., gulsher JOHN
- A Rich Man, S.R. Riang
- the natural disaster.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Desert Country Ways, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Way To Balance In Life, Margaret Moran
- Choosing Directions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Mind's Highway, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- While The World Is Asleep, Kewayne Wadley
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Alone With Everybody, Charles Bukowski
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Robert Louis Stevenson
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)