Clinical Death (Ottava Rima Poem)
Scrapin' along long bars, her cup of tea
Was sweeter than honey and the honeycomb.
There were gleams in her eyes and her esprit.
A breeze was comin' from a funeral home.
The Moon's hollow eyes climb'd the night to see
The ashes of dead and the fire fill'd with foam.
From dawns o' hope to sunsets o' despair,
The leaves were shadows dancin' in the cold air.
Her rigid body was a glassy slight.
Ne'er dying white lilies threw one off the scent.
Tearin', roarin', she felt her soul in light,
In sweet, comin' death with pitiful lament.
Her soul had terrified wings for her flight.
She was confin'd, lagg'd in fears by devil's night.
She bestrode the abyss holdin' the pain.
She could 'scape of whippin' memories in vain.
She felt a scent of garbage and perfume.
The fog was in her eyes; she wheez'd in fear.
She search'd the Heaven to dispel her gloom,
But she couldn't o'erpass her last life frontier,
More than real, o'er her new returnin' doom,
She lost her happiness, but she felt her tear.
She was aware of all she had to leave
Through her hellish paradise startin' to reeve.
Marieta Maglas's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Ottava Rima can be defined as,
'A poetry form in which a poem is written in 8-line octaves. Each line consists of either 10 or 11 syllables and follows the rhyme scheme of abababcc.'
History and Origin
The Ottava Rima in its current form was first created by the Italian poet Giovanni Boccaccio, who used it in Theseide for the first time.
It is based on a poetic form then used in Sicily, which used the alternating rhyming scheme however the double rhyme in the last two verses was introduced later on.'''
Comments about this poem (Clinical Death (Ottava Rima Poem) by Marieta Maglas )
- Choosing Directions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Mind's Highway, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- While The World Is Asleep, Kewayne Wadley
- Songs For Harmony By Stephen Gill, Bijay Kant Dubey
- To Aleksandra, Thomas Bates
- Contained Essence, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- It's The Noise, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Gumsum Gumsum, Akhtar Jawad
- Workmates?, Over The Moon
- Some way or other, gajanan mishra
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)