Mariam de Haan
Colours of happiness
In this tapestry called life
We often see the strings of sadness,
Forgetting the colours are made of joy.
And the moments that only you and the seamstress know.
Like when you look into the eyes of that person you care about,
And you find yourself in the ridges of their iris.
When you laugh so hard that your insides quake
And your trembling friend starts to snort.
But it doesn't matter because joy is not about manners.
When you take off your shoes to feel the Earth's heartbeat.
As the grass tickles your knees
You look above to see the sun in pieces, seeping through the canopy leaves.
When a stranger talks to you
At times in a language you don't understand.
But they prove that words aren't needed in communication,
So you share a bond confusion.
When you go to a place where the sidewalks sing stories,
And even though you have never been there before it feels like home.
When a child looks at you with wonder
Or tells you about the things they've discovered.
Personally my parents
In every way, everyday, my parents
And my entire family that never fail to embrace me.
In fact what I've mentioned here is minor
When looking at this tapestry, this rollercoaster
Of mountains and corners
Which is full of sadness, but here's my advice.
Focus on the colours of happiness.
Mariam de Haan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Colours of happiness by Mariam de Haan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Chosen Path, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I've Killed, Mr. Nobody
- Treasuring Experience, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Flair, douglas scotney
- Feel the pain, gajanan mishra
- Inhaling Breaths Of Words, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Where Chants Collide, Richard Jarboe
- SUPER LOVER~~ Michael Mcparland! ! ! !, Mr. Nobody
- Solid Convictions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Fallen flower, hasmukh amathalal