each babe wakes to earths new dawn,
mistaking new for what is worn,
futures cast before they're born.
childhood cheer renews life's sheen,
repainting vistas last past seen,
brightens futures grey cast screen.
childhood cheer gives way to teen,
early brightness now unseen,
noon sun slides to evenings scene.
adults wallow in the past,
spying dusk - horizon sat,
futures span is failing fast.
the current moment caught at last,
the future spent, the past fades fast,
no escape from deaths grim grasp.
Christopher Withers's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (dawns decay by Christopher Withers )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Where is it?, Fahri Tasim
- am i pretty?, Rodney R. Cooper
- true story, bro, Mandolyn ...
- What Would I Had Done, Abekah Emmanuel
- beautiful girl nice face, lee fones
- Let's Have A Party!, mary douglas
- Another Day, Another Dawn, Jenn Toner
- Courage, Jenn Toner
- A Symbol Of Hope, Jenn Toner
- To Those Who Grieve, Jenn Toner