each babe wakes to earths new dawn,
mistaking new for what is worn,
futures cast before they're born.
childhood cheer renews life's sheen,
repainting vistas last past seen,
brightens futures grey cast screen.
childhood cheer gives way to teen,
early brightness now unseen,
noon sun slides to evenings scene.
adults wallow in the past,
spying dusk - horizon sat,
futures span is failing fast.
the current moment caught at last,
the future spent, the past fades fast,
no escape from deaths grim grasp.
Christopher Withers's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (dawns decay by Christopher Withers )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Tiger, William Blake
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Loss of Innocence, Bijay Kant Dubey
- HUMANKIND, john chizoba vincent
- Sorry, If I Have Hurt Your Feelings, Ext.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Deep Deep Peace, Margaret Moran
- Aflas Ke Basti..., pakeeza rizvi
- WHO REALLY CONTROLS THE WORLD?, john chizoba vincent
- Walking In Clouds, Juan Olivarez
- Of Ancestors From Long Ago, Spiritwind Wood
- If I Told You, Spiritwind Wood
- WHEN ARE YOU COMING HOME, FATHER?, john chizoba vincent