each babe wakes to earths new dawn,
mistaking new for what is worn,
futures cast before they're born.
childhood cheer renews life's sheen,
repainting vistas last past seen,
brightens futures grey cast screen.
childhood cheer gives way to teen,
early brightness now unseen,
noon sun slides to evenings scene.
adults wallow in the past,
spying dusk - horizon sat,
futures span is failing fast.
the current moment caught at last,
the future spent, the past fades fast,
no escape from deaths grim grasp.
Christopher Withers's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (dawns decay by Christopher Withers )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Cage of Anger, Aqua Flower
- Walls, Ariel Farrell
- City Life, Geraldine Kelly
- just a wee whatever, Mandolyn Davidson
- my thoughts of you ferment, Mandolyn Davidson
- bury me tonight, Mandolyn Davidson
- Plagiarize, Lilly Emery
- every breath i take is cold, Mandolyn Davidson
- Black tulips, Mark Heathcote
- Be Drunk In Love ~Rumi, LUVinThe NOW