You whom I could not save
Listen to me.
Try to understand this simple speech as I would be ashamed of another.
I swear, there is in me no wizardry of words.
I speak to you with silence like a cloud or a tree.
What strengthened me, for you was lethal.
You mixed up farewell to an epoch with the beginning of a new one,
Inspiration of hatred with lyrical beauty,
Blind force with accomplished shape.
Here is the valley of shallow Polish rivers. And an immense bridge
Going into white fog. Here is a broken city,
And the wind throws the screams of gulls on your grave
When I am talking with you.
What is poetry which does not save
Nations or people?
A connivance with official lies,
A song of drunkards whose throats will be cut in a moment,
Readings for sophomore girls.
That I wanted good poetry without knowing it,
That I discovered, late, its salutary aim,
In this and only this I find salvation.
They used to pour millet on graves or poppy seeds
To feed the dead who would come disguised as birds.
I put this book here for you, who once lived
So that you should visit us no more.
Czeslaw Milosz's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dedication by Czeslaw Milosz )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Silent Noon, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Polar Bear Mugs Wino, Robert Ronnow
- Destiny! ! !, Amitava Sur
- Valentino's Victory Lap, Charles Hancock
- A Best friend to someone like me, Yselle Lucas
- Is it stress, Robert Ronnow
- Communicating the Bird, Robert Ronnow
- Chinese Sonnets, Robert Ronnow
- Caterpillar fur, Robert Ronnow
- The One I Adore, Michael P. McParland
- My other half, Asit Kumar Sanyal