Don't Tell Me We're Free
Don't judge us by the Smiling faces
And conclude we are happy.
Don't use as examples just a few cases
And say it's reality.
For Smiling faces do not mean the same as happy people,
Neither does smooth talk translate to goodwill.
Don't see the big cars we drive
And conclude we are rich.
Don't look at the clothes we have
And call us the real deal.
For big cars do not mean the same as rich men,
Neither does big clothes translate to big men.
Don't look at us 'going places'
And conclude we can soar.
Don't look at us like cheetahs running in races
And expect us to roar.
For 'going places' does not always mean it's in the right direction,
Neither does aimless running translate to eventual elevation.
Don't look at our feet without shackles
And conclude we are free.
Don't look at our faces without wrinkles
And say it's the good life we live.
For the invisibility of chains is no proof of its absence,
Neither does smooth face translate to a life of rest.
James Ogunjimi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Don't Tell Me We're Free by James Ogunjimi )
- Best Lesson, sallam yassin
- Our Heavenly Souls, Robert Rorabeck
- Nightmares and Daydreams, Shane V. Hill
- Within My Mind Holds Dreams, Lilly Emery
- The Right Question, David Barz
- Confusing, george albot
- Bluegray, Saiom Shriver
- My Still Daughter, LoKis White
- By Another Icarus, Robert Rorabeck
- Lilies Of Lanka, Saiom Shriver
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)