Dont Tell Me
Don’t tell me about democracy
When all it defends is exploitation
When it defends subordination by money
For how many peasants succeed in it?
For how many workers lead within it?
Don’t tell me about equality
When lip service is all you give it
When all you do is select an individual
When will all of us be selected?
When will we share in the results of our sweat?
Don’t tell me about human rights
When I live and sleep without food
When I live and sleep in the shackles without proper clothes
What rights do I enjoy on an empty stomach?
What rights can I enjoy in the single room shackle?
Don’t tell me about freedom
When I cannot afford to study to the limits of my brains
When I cannot afford healthcare to cure my pains
Why should you deny me the freedom to know?
Why should you deny me freedom from sickness?
For I am tired of the Mickey Mouse freedom
I am tired of the talk that is human rights
I am tire of paper equality
I am tired of the bourgeoisie democracy!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dont Tell Me by Benedict Wachira )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(22 March 1941 -)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
Poem of the Day
- It isn't easy!, Lubinda Lubinda
- I Am Third, Perry Biggerstaff
- The Nigeria Political Vampires, Chinweokwu Sunlight M. Ndubu ..
- Alack! Afore! Alack! Afore!, Dexsta Ray
- WAR modern art-form of meaninglessness, George Dee Vuy
- I let myself, Elena Ioannou
- Love Is Hard, Is It Poetry
- Broken Waves, Pintu Mahakul
- PH: Poetry Writing: In Poetry, Brian Johnston
- Moving Out, Adriana Avila