..........................Dunces In A Confederacy
After reading 'The Confederacy of Dunces' (Pulitzer Novel of 1983? set in New Orleans.) , these words ring true. I lived in New Orleans for 10 years.....
Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints?
Who dat? Who dat?
Who dat clown wid da big, flat feet?
You know. You know.
Sometimes be yo neighbor,
Sometimes be yo frien...
Nevah yo enemy...
But, when dem shutters close at night,
Don be a'walkin dem sidewalks.
Nevah dat alley bee-tween houses.
Don be a'lookin out yo window, ether.
The knife will always stab yo back...
Never yo front...
Why is dat?
Why is dat?
elysabeth faslund's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (..........................Dunces In A Confederacy by elysabeth faslund )
- Writing, Jacob Mikael Matuszczak
- Little Experience, Karen Verdello
- Lunch, Karen Verdello
- Within The Heart, Naveed Akram
- Beige Cage, Karen Verdello
- Tus sueños en tu vida, Elizabeth Garcia
- The House Next Door, Karen Verdello
- Your Dreams In Your Life, Elizabeth Garcia
- Freedom in Love's Prison, Paul Hartal
- Night Inside, Jacob Mikael Matuszczak
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Thanksgiving Wish To You My Love, Thad Wilk
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)