Erik Johan Stagnelius
Up through the ruins of my earthly dreams
I catch the stars of immortality;
What store of joy can lurk in heaven for me?
What other hope feed those celestial gleams?
Can there be other grapes whose nectar streams
For me, whom earth's vine fails? Oh! can it be
That this most hopeless heart again may see
A forehead garlanded, an eye that beams?
Alas! 'tis childhood's dream that vanisheth!
The heaven-born soul that feigns it can return
And end in peace this hopeless strife with fate!
There is no backward step; 'tis only death
Can still these cores of wasting fire that burn,
Can break the chain, the captive liberate.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Eternity by Erik Johan Stagnelius )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- A Piece Of History, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Live, breathe and inspire., Babatunde Esho
- Ruins Of Progress, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Posting Photos On The Facebook, I Feel I.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- corrosion, oskar hansen
- TO HIS BOOTYLICIOUS MISTRESS, Israel Dammy Ipaye
- Post Photos of Beautiful Girls On The Fa.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- To A Young Man, Edgar Albert Guest
- Little Feet, Edgar Albert Guest
- The Common Touch, Edgar Albert Guest