Fade To Black
The family’s away and so goes my sun.
I sit on my own in the dark it’s no fun.
Its real dark in here, as dark as squid ink.
The darkness leaks in to the thoughts that I think.
The faded washing swings off the line.
I look at the clock and breathe in synch with the time.
The garbage bin has begun to stink.
Have to climb over dishes to get to the sink.
I wonder how long I could go without eating.
This dark veil's heavy I hope it’s just fleeting.
A mountain of washing to be conquered awaits.
I leave the door open, so to with the gates.
Walk away to the edge, alone with my dog.
Killing me softly my minds full of fog.
I stand in the wash looking out toward sea.
Wishing I could dissolve into her as one be.
Unsuccessful I trudge in my footprints reversed.
From the shore to the door for a life well rehearsed.
Down with the sun up with the birds.
On paper I continue to wrestle my words.
Walk the halls after dark and bounce off the walls.
Take the good with the bad take the scrapes with the falls.
Cleaned my cold gun feel the weight of dark steel.
Look down the barrel wonder how would it feel.
Made my bed now lie in it I watch geckos hunt.
Wait for sleep to grip me and to the dark shunt.
Unable to sleep I stare into the dark.
Doing battle with my demons I fight the black shark.
Till standing in the dark breathless searching for light
All normal folk are already tucked in for the night.
So I sit on the bed edge and look into the lens.
Don’t like what I see give the glass a quick cleanse.
Look again it’s now clearer and worse than I thought.
It’s my real time reflection the mirror has caught.
Turn away from my image; close my eyes, held my breath.
Mourning my youth hollow tears now bereft.
Thick black darkness floods into one of life’s little corners.
This must be the place that the happy ones warn us.
Swim towards the light at the end of the tunnel.
Follow the voices that call through the funnel.
I won’t try to fly, hang on not to rope.
I’ll shed this dark cape, seek the light I can cope.
Anthony Burge's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Fade To Black by Anthony Burge )
- If I am just a Character, Felicia Manning
- Only if..., Ntando.B Da poet
- Patience & Acceptance, Tom Zart
- I am a stream, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- THE WIDOW, john chizoba vincent
- They Are The Bamiyan Buddhas, You Fire N.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Mundamala Kali, Bijay Kant Dubey
- LETTER TO A MOTHER 2, john chizoba vincent
- The Festival of Lights, Deepawali, Bijay Kant Dubey
- To Loving Partha Sarothi -A Token Of Love., Bazi alis Subrata Ray
Poem of the Day
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Heather Burns