Fog Horns and Misty Eyes: A Memory of Maine | A Song
'Come.' He beckoned me to 'come.'
'Come walk my lonely beach' he said.
'The fog is thick and the sea breeze cool.
Come. Come lie with me today.
My fog horns call for you.
Discover what the ocean has to say.
Her waves will wash away your tears;
That’s what you want, is it not, my dear? '
In thus manner he spoke to me,
And so, with misty eyes I approached the shoreline.
My head was drowning, and the only sounds
Were the wind in the trees, the rocky sand beneath my feet,
The water, a bell, and an occasional horn.
My eyes were searching for the sight of him to meet.
I stood there heart wide open at the water’s edge,
And welcomed him to take me to his bed.
Near he came. Near he came to me,
So near I felt his breath upon my face.
I thought him beautiful and his smell was sweet.
He gently moved his fingers through my hair.
Then! I realized. It is not right to leave the earth like this.
The choice is not for me to make, this choice I do not dare.
I pulled away from him and ran; my eyes were full of tears.
Then to myself I said 'Your time will come, will it not, my dear? '
Anna Maria's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Fog Horns and Misty Eyes: A Memory of Maine | A Song by Anna Maria )
- Somewhere in the Streets of Amsterdam, John Siregar
- God's Kind of Poetry: My Well of Wellness, tolu ogundare
- Locution, location!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Scotland: My Love Renewed, Paul Gerard Reed
- Rosalinda, Edward Kofi Louis
- Losing Your Temper, Edward Kofi Louis
- Testing Memories, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- To Watch My Steps, Edward Kofi Louis
- Must Not Withdraw, Zulfiqar Ali Bhatti
- To blow the scent of flowers of friendsh.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)