The street lights are fain and diverse
Shadows of pillars make fearful symmetry
It seems-ghosts are on the back of ghosts-
A dazzling dances upon the street.
The trees beside the street are gloomy
And are reproached stingingly
And are truant with questioning,
In a pensive mood of breeze.
Half a hundred and more shadows in a glance
Can be seen; more spiritful than dead bodies
So half the way I can hardly travel
And my heart is about to strike me.
More or less fifty times I look up into sky
To seek the Moon and twilight stars beside me
And seem the night never to be ended
And seem the night ever to be in gruesome hue
So I think the night will never have end.
So I take a posture to cross street before sunshine
Or to make the ghosts my prey, or to break
Their eternal pride on the street, beside the sea.
So I run towards my room to fetch a musk
And black dress, fitted to my body and the night
Much to make them fool and give dances with them
To be brief indulgent in making them love me.
Sometimes I push them with my slim knee
Sometimes I caress their heads with free hand
And they think me as their affectionate mate
Oh, how fool they are! they never complain to me.
Thus I cross the street of darkest night
And thus I reach the midnight sea
To take pleasure to the lees
Out of dreary condition of night.
Pijush Biswas's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Foolish Ghosts by Pijush Biswas )
- Wake up!, Md. Asadullah
- viper kiss, aaron jimenez
- बहाना/ Bahaanaa, Aftab Alam
- a dream, jaquesha webb
- I Go Far to Fetch the Truth, with Hope, Aftab Alam
- One a.m., Susan Lacovara
- The War Against Lopping, douglas scotney
- YOU Are First Fiddle in Your Concert, AL.., Mr. Nobody Nothing
- ' गुरुगान यशगान ', Rahul Vyas
- Silence, Tshering Chekii
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns