I consider life a road
Upon which the masses travel
Toward specific missions
And other goals.
It is not in vain that people frequent this planet
Nor is it for nothing they depart hence.
So, look not down on the world you live in
Nor deny the existence of the one yet to come
But be doubly prepared for your future journey
By living uprightly now and by behaving nobly, too.
And while walking the paths of life
See to it that you conduct yourself honorably:
Listening only to what's worth listening to,
Trying to behold the good in everything.
Be not without some work at hand
That you may live as a respected master
Not a contemptible slave.
And while here, spend your days as a manly man
So that those who come after you should say:
Indeed, he has passed through here
For here are his footprints.
Ahmad Shawqi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Footprints by Ahmad Shawqi )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Decoy, Aftab Alam
- My plaints, Hrishikesh Bharadwaj
- The Blind's thought, Hrishikesh Bharadwaj
- Like a snake, Eleonora Bistrianu
- Infractions Rained Down Tears, mary douglas
- Time. Us. Stay., Eleonora Bistrianu
- Scuttled away, Eleonora Bistrianu
- Exist. Exist. Exist., Eleonora Bistrianu
- I'm His Angel 4 Life, Samantha Jorgensen
- Vulnurable, Somanathan Iyer