Turbulent emotions like forceful tides banging on the gates of my heart.
I lie on the bed; looking up from my pillow not seeing the stars.
I curl up, legs and arms - a tangled mess. I shut my eyes and imagine you there with me by my side. Drag me into sweet oblivion.
I go to sleep; his wide red eyes coming closer in the shaded space gazing at me.
The danger of its breath burdening the air on my face.
I see myself dipped in black blood … his head eclipses the silver moonlight
This is me, I swallow the pain, grovel on the floor in fear and knock my head against the cold walls in anger.
Surrounded by twisted shadows that feast on sympathy and agony.
Heavy breast … I know this place, been here before, I can direct my bare feet cross the floor blindfolded; I flew around desperately till I fell exhausted and bashed my skull
a temporary state … soon the sun came up towards my bruiesed body and poked it with a golden ray; I rocked and twisted around myself … the morning breeze picked me up, opened the window, then opened its hands and released its grip.
Sameera Alshaikh's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Fortitude (Prose) by Sameera Alshaikh )
- The Gamekeeper, David Lewis Paget
- Observing Teenagers, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Promises, Saul hernandez
- Love Speaks in Silence, Paul Sebastian
- The Ideal Wife, Paul Sebastian
- Then ever it would really you are not e.., Yuri Starostin
- Judicially, hasmukh amathalal
- ACCENT, Terry Collett
- Passion, Suresh Dogra
- Joy and peace, gajanan mishra
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- A Parody on “A Psalm of Life”, Oliver Wendell Holmes
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Fear No More, William Shakespeare
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)