Free Verse Fails
Flowery tracks disuse attacks, forsaken are by all but weeds.
Restating harmony and form, modernity sows mutant seeds.
Estranged outpourings of lost souls lose touch with life rejecting rhyme,
Excising zest which stood the test, that spanned vicissitudes of time.
Verse draws its force from intercourse divine which intuition feeds,
Extending more by fits and starts than leaps and bounds, but healthy breeds
Responses in the innter heart, the soul that seeks no empty climb,
Sensing the need to feel and feed the flame of an enlightened clime.
Ephemera now litter presses, most express a bitter creed,
For words are symbols, cymbals strong, colours the poet’s palette needs,
And sudden subtle tender touches cover surface smutches’ crime
In that they reach out, transfer, teach thought processes in pantomime.
Let go, transcend this blanket trend, so each may feel truth as he reads
Sensations that emotions free, key into rune that rhyming feeds.
(4 October 1991)
Jonathan ROBIN's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Free Verse Fails by Jonathan ROBIN )
- From 'The Motto', George Wither
- Written by Somebody on the Window of an .., Robert Burns
- Scroggam, my dearie, Robert Burns
- Epitaph for William Nicol, High School, .., Robert Burns
- Lovely Polly Stewart, Robert Burns
- Rantin, Rovin Robin, Robert Burns
- The Gardener wi' his Paidle, Robert Burns
- Sonnet: Philarete, George Wither
- For Seasonable Weather, George Wither
- The Prayer Of Habakuk, George Wither
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Away, Melancholy, Stevie Smith
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(2 June 1840 – 11 January 1928)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)