Get Control of Life
I don’t want another chance to fail; I’ve proven I can do it,
I’ve had plenty of chances to succeed, and with every one I blew it.
Why when things are looking up do I always look down?
I tell myself I want to fly but I’m staring at the ground.
I don’t need another chance,
I just need a cash advance.
I want to show the world some moves
but I don’t know how to dance.
A tightrope stretches across the abyss, but I’m afraid of heights,
I look down to get my bearings but I can’t see through the lights.
The world is a carnival of ringleaders and freaks,
the freaks are stuck in power, the rest stuck in their seats.
Someone shoves me from behind,
I take a step as if I’m blind.
One foot after another,
but I can’t make up my mind.
The safety net is silly string, don’t let yourself be fooled,
life aims a pistol at your head but you start unarmed in the duel.
Somehow I find a gun but I must teach myself to use it,
but life won’t let up for a minute and just continues shooting.
One clean shot can save me,
leave life lying on the pavement.
And that’s just what I need to do:
get control of life,
not end it.
Jesse Ellsbury's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Get Control of Life by Jesse Ellsbury )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
Abu at-Tayyib al-Mutanabbi
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Deep in my Soul, Jennifer Colyne Hall
- Orange Has A Shadow, Saiom Shriver
- I'm Screaming Inside, Jennifer Colyne Hall
- Wisdom, Forgiveness & Love., Tom Zart
- Not Divisive But Divine, Saiom Shriver
- Heart-Song of Mattie Stepanek*, Tushar Ray
- Singing Rain, Saiom Shriver
- Sometimes, Aslam Marikar
- The Confession, Aslam Marikar
- Resolutions, Gordon Ayisi