Matthew Edan Oliver Palma
Giving and Sharing
you seem to have this genuine notion that I possess a magnanimous heart
- and I believe our time together had calcified that image of mine in your head...
- after all, you have seen me in so many times give things, trivial and otherwise, to those who ask - and to those who need more...
i must confess, however, that I nonetheless remain extremely greedy
- that even if I recognize charity to inhabit my being, I remain obstinately selfish...
- for even if I concede that your existence entwines with that of others, I can never bear to share you - not a single part of you...
you must understand now - why what you asked of me is outright improbable...
you must realize now - why I rather be hurt and lost and exist in loneliness without you...
- as I would rather lose you in giving, than to keep you in sharing.
Matthew Edan Oliver Palma's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Giving and Sharing by Matthew Edan Oliver Palma )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Comet, Naveed Khalid
- Jumbled Sewing Basket, Green And White W.., mary douglas
- Hospitality (Section 9 of Thirukural), rajendran muthiah
- Crushed, Gergana Teofilova
- Not a big deal, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- Affinity with truth for all times, gajanan mishra
- Affinity with truth, gajanan mishra
- To the dodo, Hrishikesh Bharadwaj
- what are you for me, Lalit Kaira
- The elephant in the refrigerator, Diana Rosser