Good Bye Shirley!
Her name was Shirley Temple, in the 1930’s she burst upon the scene
She was young and cute and sweet as punch and she lit up the movie screen.
My generation remembers watching her movies when we were girls and boys
As she danced and sang and her curly hair bobbed it filled our hearts with joy.
We loved to watch her escapades, we never knew what we might see
But whatever predicaments she found herself in, they were always rated G.
Did you hear that Miley Cyrus? She too was a child star who worked
But her tongue was used for singing and I know she never twerked!
She was young and cute and wholesome...a pint-sized sized protege
But she could hold her own with movie stars of her day.
The little girl we all loved to watch grew up...as we all do
And when she died Monday in California a little of our childhood died too.
Friends drank Shirley Temples to remember the passing of this star
Deborah and I broke out our Curly Top VHS and cranked up the VCR.
So farewell Poor Little Rich Girl, thank you for giving us such a thrill
Will we miss you Little Princess? ...Shirley...we surely will!
Jim Yerman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Good Bye Shirley! by Jim Yerman )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
Poem of the Day
- To Answer Your Question, Serena Blackinton
- ' H E I S...', sunshine garcia
- Love Note 11, Michael P. McParland
- Bicker and Swear, Donal Mahoney
- Put God First, Robert Barnett
- Te Amé Desde el Primer de los Días, Hebert Logerie
- Scales falling, Angell Afinowi
- About the Armadillo, Angell Afinowi
- Leprosy at the birthday Party, Angell Afinowi
- The Journey, Alvin Mingle