When death stares one in the face
the thing to do is laugh in disgrace,
as the inevitable scythe swings towards the dome,
swiftly fast to take you home.
You're nothing, bow your head before me,
I am death the reaper almighty.
How dare you think to be equal;
before such grandeur all life's only a prequel.
For see I am past mortal bonds
to the everlasting depths anon.
The grinning skull, a joker that,
nothing, not a man, not a fact,
to tell you you're worthless, and nothing's true,
that the only reality is hallowed blue.
Speak like a spider, respinning the web,
till you put the joker in his own turn of phrase, to bed.
Watch for it, it comes only once,
Before once again you make life the dunce.
Kevin Maroney's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Grinning Skull by Kevin Maroney )
- Masibonisane, senzokhaya umhayi
- namhlanje usuku olukhulu, senzokhaya umhayi
- okuhle, senzokhaya umhayi
- babies and dogs, oskar hansen
- God Could be Never Wrong, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- Khalani zinyoni vele nizolibusa, senzokhaya umhayi
- Fever power, hasmukh amathalal
- Inside a tomb, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Sithandwa sami sokuqala, senzokhaya umhayi
- Ngimbonile ufikile uhambile, senzokhaya umhayi