hard to be rich
It’s hard to be rich if you’re friendly and generous;
hate, and be angry, to guard like mons veneris
your wealth which you should love as much as your life,
or pleasures you get from your mistress and wife.
Inspired by epigram xiii in Book XII or Martial Epigram’s:
Genus, Aucte, lucri divites habent iram:
odisse quam donare vilius constat.
James Michie translates this in two lines:
The rich know anger helps the cost of living:
Hating’s more economical than giving.
gershon hepner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (hard to be rich by gershon hepner )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Make your Mothers Day, Damian Murphy
- Good Morning, Anuradha Bhattacharyya
- soon to be extinct.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- On the Bed of Death, Pintu Mahakul
- Solitary Meanings, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Heal the Mind oh Healer, Pintu Mahakul
- Where Are You?, angela mann
- letting moments turn to hours, Manonton Dalan
- i can't help it but smile too, Manonton Dalan
- Learning Essence Of A Poet, RoseAnn V. Shawiak