Hath I Not Wings?
Too early out of cozy nest, I a fledgling
Sought adventure, the journey a soloing flight
Over towns and cities, deep lakes, wide rivers.
With downy wings spread wide,
The birthright of my independence.
More foreign than imagined was the world.
Above, below, such strange sights seen,
I shuddered at some voices heard, yet breathed
A new perspective,
Though not without concern~
The temptation, my innocence the target.
With silken tongues, birds of prey with raw claws
Of intent, spent they their guile, coveted they my
Youthfulness, courted my wings of arresting naiveté.
With sharpened sense of power,
Of ancient persuasion, they greedily pounced.
A broken wing. A time of healing. And now grown,
Hath not I gained some knowledge, some wisdom?
Will I not now, on wing of caution, guard
Myself from attack?
Will not any who have wings
A way to learn from one’s mistakes?
Jackie Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hath I Not Wings? by Jackie Allen )
- The Ocean's Gates, Brandt Nightingale
- Tribute to the King, Tania Montgomery
- Abyss, Donald R Charon
- Ode to the Busker, Tania Montgomery
- I have forgotten who I am, gajanan mishra
- Love is a liquid ~~~ vs.56, Mr. Nobody Nothing
- HE IS A MAN, Donald R Charon
- Dead Stone, ramesh rai
- Our Lives, Sandra Feldman
- All Mine, For Me, Donald R Charon
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Eldorado, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- To Someone Special On PoemHunter, Electric Lady
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Night Has A Thousand Eyes, Francis William Bourdillon
- Cleanliness and Happiness, chandra thiagarajan
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Ono no Komachi
(c. 825—c. 900))
Ralph Waldo Emerson
(1803 - 1882)