Hath I Not Wings?
Too early out of cozy nest, I a fledgling
Sought adventure, the journey a soloing flight
Over towns and cities, deep lakes, wide rivers.
With downy wings spread wide,
The birthright of my independence.
More foreign than imagined was the world.
Above, below, such strange sights seen,
I shuddered at some voices heard, yet breathed
A new perspective,
Though not without concern~
The temptation, my innocence the target.
With silken tongues, birds of prey with raw claws
Of intent, spent they their guile, coveted they my
Youthfulness, courted my wings of arresting naiveté.
With sharpened sense of power,
Of ancient persuasion, they greedily pounced.
A broken wing. A time of healing. And now grown,
Hath not I gained some knowledge, some wisdom?
Will I not now, on wing of caution, guard
Myself from attack?
Will not any who have wings
A way to learn from one’s mistakes?
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hath I Not Wings? by Jackie Allen )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1498 - 1546)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Alone And Drinking Under The Moon, Li Po
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- I am Hades Sweet Persephone, Tiger Auntunette
- Wisdom And Knowledge, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Child Slaughter, douglas scotney
- A slave to situation,, Aftab Alam
- Arctic Hero?, Denis Martindale
- The fate, gajanan mishra
- Five Cherry Blossoms To Despair., Martin Engstrom
- Depths Of Truth, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- You are not allowed to walk, gajanan mishra
- If you want success, gajanan mishra