HERE COMES THE NEW PARADISE!
To your shame, Big Brothers,
I am sorry!
You, like a Christmas goat
Tak’n to the abattoir,
parade yourselv’s before us on parties’ platforms,
canvassing to have our votes.
Behold you now,
making promises that travel to the sky,
where the Holy One has His Home!
Like an empty whirling wind,
fumbling before an impregnate cloud,
you ask for our votes,
which you need before you will be in vot’d;
with you chameleon humble hearts,
you stress points after points
as an African elephant would trumpet,
causing no earthquake.
See and see you now,
humbly come to win our hearts
with your ever-sugar-coated-blabbering tongues!
So Soon, you’ve forgot’n your million pledges,
made to us your wives before the altar of politics
in the eyes of the Chief Priest of election.
To us you pledge to provide good living,
like Him who creat’d things out of nothingness.
To us, new Garden of Eden is avow’d
where Hunger will avert her weird face.
Here now comes the new paradise,
that you these ruthless-ungrateful juggernauts
have to us brought!
Paradise of torture and of shame,
that pierces through our already nak’d marrows!
Lo we promise you,
the fool paradise of oppression
shall you in turn reap!
Eche Ononukwe's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (HERE COMES THE NEW PARADISE! by Eche Ononukwe )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Anecdote of the Jar, Wallace Stevens
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Three Kings, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Indian Weavers, Sarojini Naidu
Poem of the Day
- First Encounter - Tan Sri Clement Hii, john tiong chunghoo
- I Chose To Mickey With The Mouse, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Honey-Bee Lover, Paul Sebastian
- How real is This Truth?, michael walkerjohn
- What Bhagavad Gita is not, Bashyam Narayanan
- Sold, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Pain, Pain Knows No Race, Hebert Logerie
- God's Hands Of Love, Tom Zart
- Alone, Samantha Gronn
- David, Casey Renee Kiser