Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
Here I am
All night, a man called ‘Allah'
Until his lips were bleeding.
Then the Devil said, ‘Hey! Mr Gullible!
How comes you've been calling all night
And never once heard Allah say, ‘Here, I am'?
You call out so earnestly and, in reply, what?
I'll tell you what. Nothing!'
The man suddenly felt empty and abandoned.
Depressed, he threw himself on the ground
And fell into a deep sleep.
In a dream, he met Abraham, who asked,
‘Why are you regretting praising Allah?'
The man said, ‘ I called and called
But Allah never replied, ‘Here I am.'
Abraham explained, ‘Allah has said,
‘Your calling my name is My reply.
Your longing for Me is My message to you.
All your attempts to reach Me
Are in reality My attempts to reach you.
Your fear and love are a noose to catch Me.
In the silence surrounding every call of ‘Allah'
Waits a thousand replies of ‘Here I am.'
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Here I am by Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Simple Thought, Tim Holmes Jr
- A Glowing Angel, Rohit Sapra
- Fire Balls, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- AL-KATTAB (A PLACE USED TO BE AN ALTERNA.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- I lack true knowledge, gajanan mishra
- THE INEVITABLE DEATH, AMADU KAMARA
- I failed to, gajanan mishra
- essay # i'll never know, gordon nosworthy
- I See The Sun, Pijush Biswas
- Variety of doors!, Dr.V.K. Kanniappan