Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
Here I am
All night, a man called ‘Allah'
Until his lips were bleeding.
Then the Devil said, ‘Hey! Mr Gullible!
How comes you've been calling all night
And never once heard Allah say, ‘Here, I am'?
You call out so earnestly and, in reply, what?
I'll tell you what. Nothing!'
The man suddenly felt empty and abandoned.
Depressed, he threw himself on the ground
And fell into a deep sleep.
In a dream, he met Abraham, who asked,
‘Why are you regretting praising Allah?'
The man said, ‘ I called and called
But Allah never replied, ‘Here I am.'
Abraham explained, ‘Allah has said,
‘Your calling my name is My reply.
Your longing for Me is My message to you.
All your attempts to reach Me
Are in reality My attempts to reach you.
Your fear and love are a noose to catch Me.
In the silence surrounding every call of ‘Allah'
Waits a thousand replies of ‘Here I am.'
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Here I am by Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi )
Did you read them?
- Wall, Md. Ziaul Haque
- ode to bose, ademola oluwabusayo
- The need of protection., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- journey in search of harmony., Diplove gautam
- Himalayan Summer, Denis Martindale
- The woman, ademola oluwabusayo
- A Tribute To Family, Michelle Moran
- Tangibility, Jayatissa Liyanage
- Love to be human, hasmukh amathalal
- A Lost Bird, Md. Ziaul Haque
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Television, Roald Dahl
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Democracy, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)