I do not want to die on a Monday with rain raging down on my pain
my mind drifting back through a lather of dreams and fear grabbing hold of my name.
I do not want to die on a Tuesday it's the least of my favourite days
like the start of New Year there's little to cheer unless I change my ways.
I do not want to die on a Wednesday in sight of the weekend fair
too much to remember and much more to do - would be easier to finish off there.
I do not want to die on a Thursday for it's my favourite day of the week
the cheque in the door the wine on the floor - do not want to go anymore.
I do not want to die on a Friday because my father did
fallen, alone, by a railway line just as I started to live.
I do not want to die on a Saturday with people rushing around
voices that laugh in the sun in the park and footballers pounding the ground.
I think I'll go on a Sunday when my summers have no more to give and children play by the Great Lucan weir unaware that I ever had lived.
Alan Halford's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Holding on by Alan Halford )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- And Then There Was Love, Sandra Feldman
Poem of the Day
- Nothing can break the focus., Sumita Jetley
- Ever So Cute, riya misi
- Unlock From Sockets, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- PRAY OUT YOUR PAST, Michael P. Johnson
- Christmas, Titiksa Dugar
- alphabet you two bucks you drive a truck, Mandolyn ...
- Open the floodgate.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- A Dream Of Death,, Luo Zhihai
- Feeling Your Spirit, Michael P. McParland
- Word, Birgitta Heikka