I do not want to die on a Monday with rain raging down on my pain
my mind drifting back through a lather of dreams and fear grabbing hold of my name.
I do not want to die on a Tuesday it's the least of my favourite days
like the start of New Year there's little to cheer unless I change my ways.
I do not want to die on a Wednesday in sight of the weekend fair
too much to remember and much more to do - would be easier to finish off there.
I do not want to die on a Thursday for it's my favourite day of the week
the cheque in the door the wine on the floor - do not want to go anymore.
I do not want to die on a Friday because my father did
fallen, alone, by a railway line just as I started to live.
I do not want to die on a Saturday with people rushing around
voices that laugh in the sun in the park and footballers pounding the ground.
I think I'll go on a Sunday when my summers have no more to give and children play by the Great Lucan weir unaware that I ever had lived.
Alan Halford's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Holding on by Alan Halford )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- To A Mouse, Robert Burns
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
Poem of the Day
- Cos Their Real Money 2, sEaN nOrTh
- Indian Republic Day,2015, Dr John Celes
- humans, lee fones
- hunger, oskar hansen
- Ideals Of Views, Margaret Alice Second
- [CW]Watch The Flash Season 1 Episode 11 .., Renz Barns
- [VIDEO]Watch The Flash Season 1 Episode .., Renz Barns
- Still my tears flow, Wala' Qamhieh
- A Christmas poem: Twelve Things About Ch.., Loyd C. Taylor
- Twelve Things About Christmas Past, Loyd C. Taylor