She looks out of the window
riot of colors in the air
Masses of drenched bodies swaying to the pagan beats
Shiva's prasad breaking the inhibitions that had been held fast.
A longing in her heart
To feel the touch of a lover's hand.
Smearing her face with red gulal
a color of passion and love.
The virginal dupatta marked
Hues of a rainbow that spans the sky.
Sheer cotton shirt wet to the skin
Warmed with the heat of her lover's gaze
To dance like a dervish
Round and round
Falling in the arms of the lover that she longs to find.
Reena Puri's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Holi by Reena Puri )
- May Peace Prevail, Cathy Hodgson
- Baldy Bert, Von Kimball Barney
- Heartbreak Girl, Anirudh Rawat
- Too Many Women, David Lewis Paget
- RESULT: THE LAW OF CAUSE AND EFFECT, Dominic George
- A MASOCHISTIC SADIST TO A WOUNDED CHILD .., Dominic George
- MEN CAN'T WIN EVERYTHING, Dominic George
- TO THE PARADISE I WANT TO MARCH, Dominic George
- Uit de voegen, Madrason writer
- TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT I'M JUST TRYING TO A.., Dominic George
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Gray Room, Wallace Stevens
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)