Homosexuality: If It Were The Norm.... [human sexuality; what if? ; perceptions]
I believe most human societies are heterosexual at their core.
Homosexuality is often viewed variously as sinful, abnormal, and more.
To avoid punishment or unpleasantness many homosexuals have "lied".
Now many gays who have hidden or held back will not be denied.
At least in America I believe homosexuality is no longer a crime.
Gay unions and even marriages are gaining recognition over time.
The Boy Scouts* still ban gays, making their organization harder to sell.
But the Pentagon has finally dropped the anti-gay motto "Don't ask. Don't tell."
All of which makes me wonder how different American society would be.....
if the majority of citizens were homosexual, not straight like me.
Even the name "straight" might change; maybe I'd be called "skewed".
I might be shunned if it was discovered that women, not men, I screwed.
What if human societies evolved with homosexuality the norm?
Would religious leaders proclaim heterosexuality an amoral storm?
Would the "new straights"/homosexuals think of the "skeweds" as sick?
Would Boy Scouts* only "homo" men and boys choose, .... and no heterosexuals pick?
I believe heterosexuality may have evolved as, OR has always been,
the norm, due to "hetero-sex" being needed... to produce more kin.
Of course babies can NOW be produced without sex being "done".
Many people (present day straights) would say "that" takes away some fun.
If you believe as I do, you believe "gays" are gay when they come out of their mother.
But their sexual inclinations, a "straight" society does often smother.
I doubt homosexuality will ever be, in America, the norm;
if it is, I hope, to the "new rules", we can all peacefully conform.
[* Boy Scouts of America voted (since I wrote this) to allow gay boys as Scouts in 2014]
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Homosexuality: If It Were The Norm.... [human sexuality; what if? ; perceptions] by Bri Edwards )
Did you read them?
- Love Burns, Angela K Brown
- Broken Love, Angela K Brown
- All of Me, Angela K Brown
- Rain, Angela K Brown
- Stay With Me, Angela K Brown
- seriously though, the ending is dope, Mandolyn ...
- Performing A Musical, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Separation of the women who resemble sui.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- The Light The Night Sows, Walid Lounes Bouzerar
- Lasting Sorrow, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)