Hospitality (Section 9 of Thirukural)
81. Living together and saving the goods in a nest
should be kind and generous to the guest.
82. Leaving the guests outside and feeding on even ambrosial food
shows detestable manners crude.
83. Life of good hosts daily to the coming guests
isn't eaten away by pain or pests.
84. In his house the Goddess of Wealth rests
whose smiling face entertains good guests.
85. He who eats the remains after feasting his guests first
needs not sowing seeds in his lands where the harvests burst.
86. Treats well the out-going guests and the new ones if he awaits,
to be the welcome guest of the celestials, he has all the traits.
87. The ritual of treating the guests has no limits;
the status of the guests it befits.
88. Failing to take part in treating the guests, they regret later.
Losing the stores guarded, they cry, "Desire doesn't matter".
89. It is penury to turn away the guests in plenty.
The senseless alone have this folly.
90. The smelling of ‘Anicha' flowers makes them fade.
The cold looks of the hosts make the guests degrade.
Topic of this poem: translation
rajendran muthiah's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Hospitality (Section 9 of Thirukural) by rajendran muthiah )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Conscientious Objector, Edna St. Vincent Millay
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
Poem of the Day
- Reality to be face, Habib Imtiaz Kinkhabwala
- Lovers of the sun, Tony md chamasense
- A Lucky Penny, Hebert Logerie
- A Letter for a Broken Hearted, Reagan A. Latumbo
- Allure And Mystique, Margaret Alice Second
- Beware, Tony md chamasense
- Longing., Jak Black
- Summer Nights, Deborah Ager
- The Old House, Paul Gerard Reed
- The role of Kama, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.