I Laugh When I hear That The Fish In The Sea Is Thirsty
I laugh when I hear that the fish in the sea is thirsty,
You don't see the Real in your own home and wander from forest to forest confused.
Kabir will tell you the truth: Go where you will, to Benares or Mathura;
If you haven't found your soul, the world is a mirage.
I don't know what sort of God we're talking about;
The muezzin calls in a loud voice to the holy one at dusk
Why? Surely the Lord isn't deaf.
He hears the tinkle of anklets in the footfall of an ant.
Go over and over your beads, paint your forehead,
wear your hair matted, or braid it long
If deep inside you there's a loaded gun,
how can you have God?
Pramila Davidson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
(Translation by Pramila Davidson,2011)
Kabir was a muslim weaver who took to the path of 'bhakti' (devotion) . The language and imagery is homespun but the ideas are profound and cut across religious traditions.
Comments about this poem (I Laugh When I hear That The Fish In The Sea Is Thirsty by Pramila Davidson )
- You are my sweet lovely heart, Mazid S Kazi , INDIA
- I am the time, Aftab Alam
- The one who is blessed by the God is su.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Angel, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Malaria, hasmukh amathalal
- The life we have lived, Goodenough Sakhile Dlamini
- At our will, hasmukh amathalal
- See the fishes, hasmukh amathalal
- Two Become One, Loide V Augustinus
- Your Sweetness, Loide V Augustinus